Having whiter teeth has now become the number one aesthetic concern of most people. In our office at Dental Home, located in Orangeburg, SC, a teeth whitening treatment is a very simple procedure we provide for our patients.
In-Office Teeth Whitening
The first professional option is commonly referred to as in-office whitening. The best way to begin any teeth-whitening regimen is to schedule an appointment with our receptionist at our Dental Home office.
An in-office teeth whitening procedure (or bleaching) is a simple, non-invasive dental treatment used to change the color of natural tooth enamel, which is an ideal way to enhance the beauty of your smile. Before the doctor begins the treatment, an examination of your teeth and gums will be made in order to ensure proper health. Next, the dentist will talk with you about your oral hygiene and lifestyle habits to determine if you will benefit from whitening. We assure our patients that the steps involved are not painful or uncomfortable. The treatment is done as follows:
- A cheek retractor is placed into the mouth.
- A hardening resin is painted onto the gum tissue to protect against any irritation caused by the bleaching gel.
- A gel containing hydrogen peroxide is then applied to the teeth and kept on for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Some whitening treatments use an intense light that is focused on the teeth and is said to activate or enhance the bleaching process.
- Between applications, the teeth are checked to see how well they have whitened, and whether more bleach needs to be applied.
- After the final application, the retractors are removed; the patient rinses and the immediate post-treatment shade change are measured. The teeth may whiten by as few as two to three shades. In some cases, whitening can result in as eight shades lighter. Part of the whitening effect is due to dehydration during the bleaching process. This process makes the teeth look whiter than their actual color. The true color will emerge after a couple of days.
If a satisfactory level of whitening hasn't been achieved, our dentist will recommend a follow-up at a future date, and/or a regimen of take-home bleaching trays.
If you have ever wanted whiter teeth, call Dental Home at our Orangeburg office. Dial (803) 594-2944 and talk to our doctor about improving your smile.